Saturday, November 29, 2008

The War on Christmas

For the past few years that the term has taken hold on mainstream American culture, I've never believed in a "War on Christmas". I think the whole notion is ludicrous--a deliberate attack by the news media on Christian values in order to secularize our sacred ideals.

I still think that way. But when I read about the Wal-Mart employee who was trampled to death by crazed Black Friday shoppers, the idea of a War on Christmas took on a new meaning. No need to blame the media; we citizens have done a bang-up job of taking the "Christ" out of Christmas. Witnesses say that after Jdimytai Damour was trampled and killed, Wal-Mart shoppers were angry that they were closing the store.

I'm not gonna get all preachy. But I wonder if the Prince of Peace would want us celebrating his birthday this way.

To be sure, I have plenty of greed, and I love getting good deals on cool stuff. But when do we say enough is enough? And how should Christians make a choice to treat this season differently?

No comments: